Chapter 1

THE MEETING WITH THE BEAST !

I was looking around in a shop in town when I see this box with a software program and a console to make music. The look of the box was old and I believe they have this for long time in the shop shelfs.
Looking at the box images, I see this is a program to connect to the PC and you can make music with wav files.
Very plastic looking.
The price was fine (15 pounds)

I have many music systems at home + amplifiers, mix cd decks , monitors, sound cads etc...
As I am a DJ/ Music producer, I like everything related with music and I have a temptation for experimentalism and bizarre objects.
I found this a strange music object so I ask about and  they told me, this was a discontinued product.

I get back home and I did some search in the web but I didn't found nothing about this, a part from some people in forums looking for the original software program.
Without the software the (machine) don't work !!

So, next day I get back to the shop and pick one of this machines to see whats happen.
I get a box ,come home, and start to instal the machine in my *music computer.

The program software and machine are from 2001 and no more updates have been made.
The guy from the shop told me, inside of the box was an  XP driver for the program.
I open the box and there was the original program software PLUS a recorded cd with the XP driver.
This software uses a old ActiveX driver and this driver is not available in the web anymore.

I set up everything but first, I did have to pass some challenges:
The cable of the WAVDJ connecting the machine to the PC, is a old mousse socket together with a 6 pin socket for image, my PC is not that old and just have a usb mouse connection, so I have to go out and get an adapter.

After that, was all the sound connections and get the software install.
Work fine at first but have many problems.
The sound some times was coming grumbling, some times didn't get any sound and later didn't want to start the software, coming up with some stupid errors.
Between all this happenings, I did have about 1 week to play around and see what kind of stuff I can do with  this toy.

The Software program aloud me to change all the FX sound files as they are all in wav.
The drums have 72 different loop patterns and they can be all changed and reconstructed beat by beat.
The software aloud me to construct tracks or change the sounds and rhythms independently on each button.
He have connections in and out + mic.
The keyboard instruments can be all changed and is tooo many to count.
Have a scale with 8 octaves in the keyboard
Interesting things for a toy !!

After the problems start, I decide to put the machine back in a box and get the box on the side...
leave it !

No comments: